Thursday, 27 January 2011

Clive Betts MP warns of deadly carbon monoxide risk

Clive Betts MP has urged Sheffield households to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign shows that 69% of households in Yorkshire and the Humber could be at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Carbon Monoxide - known as the silent killer - is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm. It is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as gas boilers, cookers or fires, are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Clive Betts is supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer.

Clive Betts said:
“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Too many people are dying or suffering severely from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and we need to take action. I urge every Sheffield household to make sure that they have an audible alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.

I would like to see requirements for all new homes to be automatically fitted with an alarm and for landlords to fit alarms in their properties. Having been reminded of the dangers, I’ve bought one for my own home.”

Oliver Wright, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign manager, said:
“Our campaign aims to raise awareness and to dispel the myths around Carbon Monoxide alarms. They are available at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. They cost around £20, but many retailers are offering special discounts in support of our campaign throughout January. Importantly, they save lives.”